Sciatica Treatment in New Jersey
For those who suffer from sciatica, pain is a symptom of living. Sciatica is often reported as extreme pain in one or both legs that makes sitting or standing nearly impossible. It can also include loss of motion or feeling in the knees, ankles, and feet.
It should be noted that sciatica is a symptom of other conditions or ailments such as:
- Pinched nerve – when a nerve is pinched outside or inside of the spinal canal in the lower back
- Spinal stenosis – when the spinal canal shrinks or narrows, putting pressure on the nerves
- Herniated or slipped discs – when a vertebrae has shifted out of place and is now disproportionately placing pressure on nerves
- Piriformis syndrome – when the piriformis (a small muscle in the buttocks) gets too tight and begins to spasm, putting pressure on the sciatic nerve.
- And many others
Sciatica treatment often requires diagnosing the underlying issue and then determining where the pressure on the sciatic nerve is coming from.
At NorthEast Spine & Sports Medicine, we make sure to determine the cause of your pain before we begin treating it. We’ll perform a few tests and interview you about your medical history to ensure that we can provide the most complete and comprehensive care any healthcare facility could give.
We can diagnose sciatica in several different ways.
- Straight-leg raise test – by having the patient slowly raise their legs while lying down until they begin to feel pain, a doctor can determine how much of a role the spine may be in your pain.
- X-ray – An X-ray can help us determine if there are any fractures in the spine that may lead to an issue
- MRI – Magnetic Resonance Imaging can help us to see the structures in the back that may be causing pressure.
- EMG and NCS – Electromyography and Nerve Condition Studies help us test muscles and nerves to determine how they are operating and if they are putting unnecessary pressure on the sciatic nerve.
Once your sciatica is diagnosed it can be treated. Depending on the patient, sciatica treatment can take several different forms.
Chronic sciatica can grow more intense over time and requires effective treatment to ensure that it does not hamper quality of life. Pain relief may not be instant, but with the proper care, sciatica can be virtually eliminated.
Common causes of sciatica include:
- Sports injuries
- Improper weightlifting techniques
- Cigarette smoking (which encourages disc degeneration)
- Infrequent exercise or sitting for long periods of time
- Incorrect posture when sitting, sleeping or standing
NorthEast Spine & Sports Medicine proudly serves the residents of Monmouth County, NJ and Ocean County, NJ, which includes the towns of :
- Aberdeen, NJ
- Barnegat, NJ
- Brick, NJ
- Freehold, NJ
- Glassboro, NJ
- Jackson, NJ
- Lakewood, NJ
- Manchester, NJ
- Marlboro, NJ
- Monroe, NJ
- Point Pleasant, NJ
To learn more about all of the treatment options available at our facilities, contact us or call your local office to book an appointment.